Surprisingly dairy free & almost suspiciously like the real thing!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 12 tarts
- 2 sheets Pampus short crust pastry or gluten-free pastry
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Strawberries & nutmeg to serve
- Preheat the oven 180 degrees celsius.
- Defrost the 2 sheets of pastry then cut into circles to fit a muffin pan. Grease pan then make sure the circles are higher than the normal edge as the pastry shrinks whist cooking.
- Prick the bottom of the tart shells with a fork. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until golden. Set on a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, flour, and salt. Whisk in the almond milk until smooth (make sure the whisk reaches the corners of the pan.)
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, & whisking constantly, boil for four to five minutes until the mixture thickens. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Gradually whisk in about one cup of the milk mixture.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan & the vanilla, whisk constantly, simmer for 1-2 minutes until slightly thicker. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Once thickened share the custard between the tart cases, sprinkle with nutmeg & top with fresh strawberries. Refrigerate 45 minutes then serve.
This recipe could easily be made gluten-free by swapping the flour & pasty for a gluten-free alternative.