Super easy & gluten free, this gnocchi cuts out all the unnecessary ingredients to create light & fluffy pillows of potato.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Serves: 6-8 depending on portion size
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups of gluten free plain flour, plus extra for rolling
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius. Poking a few holes in them with a fork, bake the sweet potatoes for 40-50 minutes or until tender. You’ll know they’re done when a fork can be pressed into the centre rather easily. Set aside to let cool enough for you to handle them easily.
- Combine the salt & 2 cups of the flour.
- Remove the skin of the sweet potato & push through a sieve to ensure the potato is super smooth.
- Add the potato to the flour & combine thoroughly. You don’t want the dough to be sticky so keep adding four until you get a nice dry dough.
- Once fully combined, roll the dough into a ball & cut it into eight even pieces. Roll each piece into a long log that’s about 1/2 an inch thick. Cut pieces the gnocchi into 1 inch pieces. Gently toss each piece into flour to ensure that it’s dry & not sticky at any edges. Continue until you’ve cut out pieces from all of the dough.
- The gnocchi can be stored in the fridge for 3 days, the freeze for a few weeks, or cooked right away.
- Heat a pot of salted water to a boil. Add in the gnocchi & let cook for a couple minutes. Once the gnocchi floats to the surface of the water, let it boil for 30 more seconds& then remove it from the water using a slotted spoon.
- Toss in your favourite sauce & enjoy. We love combining this with a light & fresh tomato passata with fresh basil.
Original recipe adapted from B. Britnell.