Tender sweet potato partnered with some herby pesto, caramelised onions & juicy tomatoes, you really can’t go wrong with this lunch recipe. It takes a little time to prep but is completely worth it – especially because you end up with left overs for work the next day!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 500 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 punnets of mini roma tomatoes, halved
- 2 red salad onions, sliced lengthways
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup basil & avocado pesto
- Salt & pepper to season
Basil & Avocado Pesto
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6-8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 a large avocado
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius & prepare 2 large baking trays with paper.
- Spread sweet potato evenly onto 1 tray & drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Heat a small fry pan over low heat & slow cook the salad onions until they’re soft & starting to brown. The longer they cook, the sweeter they’ll be.
- Place the tomatoes up one end of the other tray, cut side up, followed by the mushrooms at the other end. Roast for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Whilst this all cooking, prepare the pesto by combining all ingredients in a food processor until it reaches a smooth, creamy consistency. Start with 6 tablespoons of olive oil & add more as required.
- Cover the wraps in foil & warm then in the oven before serving.
- To serve, spread pesto down the centre of the wrap, followed by sweet potato, mushrooms, the tomatoes then the onions. Close the end then wrap it up & serve on a warm plate. Enjoy!
Original recipe adapted from Kitchn.