A vegan twist on the traditional Indian staple recipe chicken tikka masala. It’s packed full of flavour & spice!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 – 40 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 795g whole or diced tomatoes, with their juices
- Dash of olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 3 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 425 gram can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 250ml coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander, plus extra to serve
- Cooked basmati rice, for serving
- Pour the tomatoes into a food processor & puree until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a wok or casserole dish over medium heat. Add the onion & cook until they’re soft & translucent, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add the ginger & garlic & cook for 1 minute.
- Add all the spices, tomatoes, chickpeas, coconut milk & the 1/2 cup of chopped coriander.
- Increase the heat so it simmers gently and cook uncovered, until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add extra coconut milk if you don’t want it to be too spicy.
- Serve with rice & a sprinkle of coriander.