A classic recipe with a smokey twist of paprika & turmeric. The traditional pastie never tasted so good!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 – 35 minutes or until golden
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled & chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 turnip, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 sheets Pampus puff pastry, defrosted
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius, fan forced.
- Prepare a baking tray with paper.
- Heat a large fry pan with the olive oil. Add garlic, ginger & onion.
- Combine carrots, parsnip, sweet potato & turnip in the frypan. Cook slowly, for 3 -5 minutes then add the paprika & turmeric. Season with salt & pepper. You just want par cook the vegetables so that they’re slightly softened before going in the oven.
- Remove vegetable mix from the heat & let it cool slightly. Divide mixture between the 2 sheets of pastry, fold up & seal at the ends.
- Brush with almond milk & place straight on a tray & into the oven. Don’t let the pasties sit on the bench, otherwise the pastry will soften too much from the heat of the vegetables.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with tomato relish.
This recipe can easily be made gluten-free by adjusting the pastry.