Pair these fries with a veggie burger & you’ll have a cool new twist to the basic potato chip. Filled with paprika & oregano, they’re filled with flavour and once baked are light, airy & crisp. They even work well with an antipasto platter.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes or until golden
Serves: 4-6 people
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups polenta
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Nuttelex
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Olive oil spray
- Rock salt to sprinkle
- Tomato relish
- Preheat oven to 230 degrees celsius, fan forced.
- In a medium pot, bring water and salt to the boil. Stir in polenta, garlic, Nuttelex, oregano, & paprika. Stir frequently and cook for 6-8 minutes until done.
- Transfer the polenta to a 9×12 inch dish or baking tray covered in cling wrap. Smooth to make the thickness as even as possible. Then place in the freezer for 15 – 20 minutes, essentially until it has cooled.
- Remove the polenta from the fridge & tip it out onto a chopping board. Remove the cling wrap and cut into rectangles or wedges.
- Transfer polenta fries to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil & sprinkle with salt. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Flip over, drizzle with olive oil & sprinkle with salt. Bake the chips for a further 8 minutes.
- To get them a bit crispier, flip them a quarter turn, for an additional 2 minutes each.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with tomato relish.
Original recipe adapted from One Green Planet.