This pie is best described as delicious, gorgeous, seductive and irresistible. It’s best served warm to help bring out the caramel flavour & perfectly matched with some fresh crisp berries that cut through the sweetness.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes or until set
Serves: 4 people
- 2 sheets Pampus short crust pastry, defrosted
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips or cooking chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons Nuttelex original, melted
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius, fan forced.
- Grease four, 12cm loose bottom tart pans & line with pastry.
- Scatter chocolate & coconut over bottom of the pie shells then place on a flat baking tray
- Whisk together the sugar, maple syrup, eggs, Nuttelex, & salt then pour the mixture evenly between the pie’s.
- Place in the oven & bake until the filling is set, 40 -50 minutes should be enough. If needed you can cover them loosely with foil to stop the coconut from burning. They are meant to be a dark golden brown colour though.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving with fresh berries.
- This recipe could easily be adapted for the gluten intolerant by using gluten-free pastry.