I like anyone, enjoy a warm apple pie on a cold winters evening. Sitting by the fire, smelling cinnamon & spices fill the lounge room, I just can’t wait to bite into that crisp pastry and take the first bite. So when my partner asked me to whip one up for him last night I thought, why not? Surely there’s a way to make it dairy free and delicious. Well there is, give the recipe below a go and hopefully it’ll warm you up just like it did us.
This recipe has all the hallmarks of a classic apple pie — it’s crisp, naturally sweet, and is filled with beautiful mouth-watering spices.
Prep time: 20 – 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes or until golden brown
Yield: 6 small pies
- 4 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, defrosted (Coles brand or Pampus is fine)
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled & sliced
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Almond milk for brushing
- Raw sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius (fan forced).
- Grease 6 small pie dishes.
- Peel & core apples.
- Place sliced apples in bowl with lemon, spices & flour. Toss to coat.
- Line pie dishes with pastry.
- Fill pie dishes with apple mix.
- Slice 2 remaining sheets of pasty into 1.5cm strips depending on how you like your lattice.
- Lay pastry on pie in lattice style.
- Brush with almond milk & sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Cook for 25 minutes until golden brown. Turn the oven down to 170 degrees celsius after 10 minutes to ensure the pies don’t burn.